Diabetes Update 2013
November 22 2012
8:50 a.m. -- 4:15 p.m.
(Registration / sign-in 8:30)
Burtness Auditorium, Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital
Download flyer / registration form
This conference will provide new information on obesity and management of Type 2 diabetes. Specialists will discuss nutrition, exercise, depression and diabetes, and eye disease, Participants will have the opportunity to learn the latest medical management therapies and research to increase their knowledge and skills related to diabetes care.
The participant will be able to
List at least three factors contributing to the obesity epidemic
- Define the interactions of comorbid diabetes and depression
- Explain the components of the artificial pancreas
Describe how to regulate blood sugar through physical activity
Identify a population in which obesity statistics have improved
State differences between anaerobic, aerobic, and competition exercise
Identify different classes of medications used to treat Type 2 diabetes State the role of SGLT-2 inhibitors in lowering blood glucose
Describe how diabetes affects the eyes and state current treatments
Daniel Berger, MD, Endocrinology
Jeannee Diaz, RD, CDE, Registered Dietician
Gary Hall Jr., Olympic Gold Medalist
Dante Pieramici, MD, Ophthalmology
Robert Nagy, MD, Psychiatry
Howard Zisser, MD, Clinical Research & Technology
Course Coordinator and Instructor: Tracey Lord, RN, BSN, CDE
Continental breakfast and lunch included
Provider approved for 6.0 contact hours by the California Board of Nursing, Provider #00252.
Course meets the qualifications for 6.0 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs &/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Provider # PCE 741
Registration is not complete until payment is received. Download flyer / registration form
- CHS Employees: No charge. Register through HealthStream.
- Travelers: Fee $80. Register through HealthStream. Make check payable to CHS Education and send to the Education Department, SBCH.
- NON-CHS Employees: Fee $80. Complete registration form. Make check payable to CHS Education and send to the Education Department, SBCH.