Things To Do For Medication Safety
- Tell your doctor or nurse about all medicines you take at home (including prescriptions, over-the-counter items like aspirin, stool softeners, herbals, etc.).
- Tell your doctor or nurse about any medication/food allergies or intolerances you have.
- Never take a medication that you or your family have brought from home. If you brought any, send them home.
For your benefit, medications from home will not be used in the hospital because:
- They may bypass the normal quality control systems intended to ensure safety and potency of medications dispensed to you.
- You may end up paying twice—once for what you purchased from your local pharmacy, and a second time for your insurance premium (which covers inpatient medications).
Exempt from this policy are multiple-use items such as eye drops, inhalers, creams, ointments, or items not stocked in our pharmacy.
- If you are not receiving a medication you normally take at home, tell the nurse or doctor so it can be ordered for you.