At Cottage Health System, we believe patients and families are partners in ensuring that the best possible care is provided in a healthful, safe environment. The Cottage Health System Board of Directors and Medical Staff have adopted the following list of Patient Responsibilities and count on you to participate in your health care in the following ways:
- Provide, to the best of your knowledge, accurate and complete information about present complaints, past illness, hospitalization, medications and other matters relating to your condition to the responsible practitioner.
- Provide upon admission a copy of your healthcare proxy or any other advance directives or power of attorney forms, if you have them.
- Report any perceived risks in your care and unexpected changes in your condition to your doctor, nurse or other member of the healthcare team.
- Follow the treatment plan that you and your healthcare team have developed. This includes following the instructions of healthcare staff who are involved in your care.
- Develop a pain management plan with your doctor, nurse and healthcare team including:
- asking for pain relief when pain first begins.
- helping your doctor and nurse assess your pain.
- telling your doctor or nurse if your pain is not relieved, and
- telling your doctor or nurse about any worries you have about taking pain medication.
- Tell your nurse or doctor if you do not clearly understand the proposed plan of care and what is expected of you. Ask questions when you don’t understand.
- Keep appointments. When you are unable to do so for any reason, notify the office appointment center in advance.
- You are responsible for your actions if you refuse treatment or do not follow the practitioner’s instructions as to your provision of care.
- Provide insurance information for processing bills and assure that financial obligations are fulfilled as promptly as possible.
- Treat other patients and staff with consideration and respect.
- Be respectful of other patients’ rights to privacy. Respect a roommate’s and other patients’ rights to privacy and quiet, including the control of noise from radios, TVs and visitors.
- Be respectful of the property of other persons and of the hospital.
- You are responsible for following hospital rules and regulations affecting patient care and conduct.
Thank you for your cooperation. Cottage Health System is proud to be your healthcare provider of choice.